Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Geocaching

I went geocaching today. What is geocaching? It's a high tech game that uses GPS coordinates to find hidden items, all over the world. It's become quite popular and a lot of people have actually heard about it by now.

Why is this important? I used to LOVE to geocache. Before I had Jenna, I would go all the time. I started in late 2004. Currently, I've found just over 2000 caches. When I first started, I would go almost every day that I had off. I loved it. I loved finding hidden things in plain sight, or finding caches that were associated with history, or finding caches that would just show me something or someplace really interesting that I would have otherwise never have found.

So why is it so significant that I went today? I've gone a few times here and there in the past few years. But today, today was MY day. I have a meeting at work tonight, so I dropped Jenna at day care this morning, and I decided that I was going to do what I wanted. No cleaning, no laundry, no bills, nothing like that today. I was going to get back to what "I" loved to do. It was about me. No one else. And I think that's key....I need to work on myself, bettering myself. But in doing so, I have to find me again. I'm not just Jason's wife. I'm not just Jenna's mom. I'm not just a nurse. I'm Kate, and I love geocaching. So dammit, I'm going to do it every now and again. Just me, myself and I. Because it reminds me of ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment